Chronic Constipation may lead to Haemorrhoids (Piles), Anal Fissures, Rectal Prolapse, Skin Ailments.
You may prevent Constipation by Natural Remedies :
Constipation refers to bowel movements that are infrequent or hard to pass. The stool is often hard and dry. Other symptoms may include abdominal pain, bloating, and feeling as if one has not completely passed the bowel movement. Complications from constipation may include hemorrhoids, anal fissure or fecal impaction. Constipation is a symptom, not a disease. Most commonly, constipation is thought of as infrequent bowel movements, usually less than 3 stools per week.
However, people may have other complaints as well including :
• Straining with bowel movements
• Excessive time needed to pass a bowel movement
• Hard stools
• Pain with bowel movements secondary to straining
• Abdominal pain
• Abdominal bloating.
• Sensation of incomplete bowel evacuation.
• Food Habits
• Lack of fiber rich diet, increased intake of animal proteins like meat and eggs, insufficient water intake are the main dietary causes. Food when not chewed properly or increased consumption of too much oily and fatty food may also lead to constipation.
• Lack of exercise and Physical activities
• Intestinal problems like irritable bowel and colon
• Medicines or Drugs : Antacids, Antispasmodic, Antibiotics, Diuretics, Iron supplements, Anti-depressants etc may lead to constipation
• Worm infestation
• Changes in life like Pregnancy and travelling
• Overuse of laxatives : It may lead to dependency on such drugs and suppress the natural urge and body’s self mechanism.
• Delaying the urge to defecate
• Certain neurological diseases like Parkinson’s disease
• Smoking, Alcohol. Too much tea/coffee
• Bloated Abdomen
• Abdominal discomfort and pain
• Heaviness in abdomen
• Mouth Ulcer
• Foul breath
• Chronic constipation may lead to Hemorrhoids, Fissures, rectal prolapse, vatha diseases and Skin ailments
According to Siddha, dietary and lifestyle reasons may initially lead to derangement of Vatha or Pitha causing indigestion, bloated abdomen, gassiness etc. This vitiated Vatham or Pitham may later derange Kapham leading to failure or difficulty in evacuation of stools. Accumulation of waste in the abdomen may produce toxins which may circulate within the body through blood and fluids upsetting the whole digestive system later hindering the functioning of other systems of the body.
Natural Remedies :
• Intake of fiber rich foods like Pineapple, papaya, guava, veggies like beans, cereals etc. Salad(Roughage) intake regularly prevents constipation.
• Add healthy spices like turmeric, cumin, coriander to daily food in abundance. These spices increases digestive fire and helps the food to digest properly.
• Chew the food well before swallowing. Make your dinner healthy, light and early for better digestion.
• Drink 8-10 glasses of water daily.
• A glass of warm water with juice of 1/2 lemon and 1 spoon of honey just after waking up may help to prevent constipation.
• Avoid Smoking, Alcohol, Soda drinks, too much of tea and coffee.
• Exercise regularly.
• 20-30 ml of castor oil with warm milk just before bed.
• Aloe era juice- 20 to 30 ml daily
• Fasting at least once a month is good to restore digestive fire.
• Maintain a goodnight sleep routine.
Siddha Medicines for Constipation :
To bring back digestive fire and proper digestion, purgation followed by digestives should be administered.
Purgation must be given as first line of treatment. For purgation medicines like Agasthiyar kuzhambu, Lavan gunathi ennai, Sddhathi ennai etc are used in Siddha. Then medicines to improve digestive fire and prevent indigestion is administered. Eladi choornam, Trikadugu choornam, Inji vadagam, Thalisathi choormnam and vadagam, Asta choornam, Inji rasayanam etc are some of the Siddha digestives
Chronic constipation :
Sometimes laxatives are administered according to the condition of the patient and severity of the problem. Ponnavarai choornam 1 gram with milk at bed time or Ponnavarai tablet 1-2 at night time. Nilavarai chooranam, Kumari ennai, Kadukkai chooranam, Karunai legiyam, Triphala choornam etc are other medicines to treat Constipation. Laxatives are administered for a recommended period according to the physician’s guidance.
Always consult a Siddha doctor to treat constipation and associated problems. Never go for self mediciation.
Chronic constipation may lead to Piles, fistula, Vatha diseases, Skin disorders, Neurogenic diseases etc. So it must be treated well without any failure. Fiber rich diet, Green vegetables, proper quantity of fluid intake can help prevent constipation naturally. A healthy digestive system keeps the body system well functioning and prevent various ailments. It maintains a healthy immune system and promotes longevity.
757total visits,2visits today